• Brampton: (905) 450-1608
  • Mississauga: (905) 897-1644
  • Dufferin: 1 (888) 940-0584
In a Crisis? Click Here!
Find out how you can help. Contact Us
Safer Families

Text size: Small Large


The Safer Families Project is trying something new, and we want to evaluate our success. A researcher will contact you in the next few weeks, and again in the next few months. They will ask you about your experience with us, and how satisfied you were with our services. What you tell the researcher is anonymous (unless you, someone else, or a child is in need of protection). It will only be shared with the Safer Families Project team, in general terms. Your opinion matters. What you tell the researcher can help other families.

What are my rights?
You have the right:

  1. To be treated with respect and dignity at all times
  2. To decide what to tell your Children’s Aid Society worker and family counsellor
  3. To know your worker’s and counsellor’s qualifications
  4. To ask questions and to receive answers
  5. To understand and be involved in decisions that affect you and your children
  6. To receive services that are sensitive to your culture, class, religious beliefs, ability, sexual orientation and gender
  7. To appeal and lodge a complaint if you consider decisions concerning you and your children, or the services provided to you, are not satisfactory.

What is the Safer Families Project?
The Safer Families Project is a partnership of:
The Children’s Aid Society of Peel
Family Services of Peel
Catholic-Family Services of Peel-Dufferin.

A team of 20 people work on the Safer Families Project. Our goal is to help children in families where there is confl ict between parents. We are child and family centred. We want to work together with you to make sure everyone in your family is safe and well.

How does the Safer Families Project work?

When the Children’s Aid Society learns that a child might be in need of protection because of confl ict in their home, the Children’s Aid Society asks a family counsellor from Family Services of Peel or Catholic Family Services of Peel-Dufferin to come with them to meet the family. A family counsellor is a professional that families can talk to. A family counsellor can help families make the changes they want to make.

What happens?

The Children’s Aid Society worker needs to ask you and your children questions. The role of the family counsellor is to support you and be a resource to you. The Children’s Aid Society worker and the family counsellor will work together with you to find ways to keep everyone safe. You can continue to see the family counsellor on your own, even if the Children’s Aid Society is not involved anymore.

The Safer Families Project is voluntary. You can end your involvement at any time. If the Children’s Aid Society still has concerns about the safety of your children, they will stay involved, without the family counsellor.


Everything you talk to the Children’s Aid Society worker and the family counsellor about is kept private and confi dential within the Safer Families Project agencies, with the following exceptions:

  • If you are clearly a risk to yourself or someone else. For instance, if your worker or counsellor thinks you might kill yourself or assault someone else, then the team needs to call on others to ensure everyone is safe.
  • If a child under the age of 16 years has been abused in the past, or is in need of protection now from physical or sexual abuse, serious emotional abuse, or neglect. This includes times when a child is being exposed to violence or abuse in their home. It also includes times when an adult tells us they were abused as a child, and the person who abused them might still be dangerous to children now.
  • If a judge orders information from your sessions to be released during legal proceedings. Files can be subpoenaed and family counsellors and Children’s Aid Society workers may be required to testify in court.
  • If you tell your family counsellor or Children’s Aid Society worker that you were abused by a professional who is a member of a profession that is regulated by the Health Professions Act (such as a medical doctor, psychologist, etc.)
  • If you give us your permission in writing.